Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shillong, Northeast India

They call this place the "Scotland of the East" because of it highlands and beautiful scenery. Shillong is situated high in the mountains of the Northeast Indian state of Meghalaya. Also here is the headquarters of the Evangelical Free Church of India, the denomination founded by Dr. Ro and Mawii Pudiate.

We traveled here mostly for one reason. Some of the former India Children's Choir members live here.

Our day started early this morning... we left our hotel at 4:00 AM and went the the airport. We took the flight from Delhi to Guwahati and then made the four hour drive to Shillong. We had a big party awaiting our arrival. Grace and Christina from the 2007 choir, Jerry from the 2006 choir, and Mary Jones and Joyce, both leaders from the 2008 choir, all live here. Not only do they all live here in Shillong, but they all live here in the same compound (owned by EFCI) where we are staying.

We had a great time playing and hanging out with them. We ate dinner at the house of Lal Pakhuongte, one of the EFCI pastors who works here in the office.

After the dinner, we attended the Saturday night prayer service at the church and then came back to our guest house where we entertained a bunch of visitors (mostly kids) for the next few hours.

We are all running on less than three hours of sleep, so this boy is off to bed.

Oh, one more thing. I've gotta preach at the church service here tomorrow night, so if you will keep me in your prayers, I'd appreciate it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When you see Grace Pakhongte, please tell her hello from her sponsor Karla Altmaier. I have moved from Camp Forest Springs in Wisconsin to Bradenton Missionary Village in Bradenton, FL.

Karla

MichaelEsh said...

MESSAGE FROM GRACE:

Dear Karla,

How do you like Florida? I just finished my exams for class six. I am doing well. It is very nice meeting Uncle Mike. I miss you so much. I wish I could meet you again. The Lord bless you and keep you.

From your loving Grace.

Unknown said...

Hi, Grace! I miss you too! I'm so happy we got to spend time together when you were in Wisconsin in 2007.

I like Florida very much. It is not cold like Wisconsin and we don't have snowy roads. I do miss my friends at camp.

God bless you and your family! Merry Christmas!

Karla