Monday, January 12, 2009

Home Again!

I am writing this post from my house in Pennsylvania! I arrived at JFK airport in New York this morning around 7:30 after a flight from Calcutta to Dubai and then and then another fourteen hour flight to New York.

Backing up a little... after arriving at the Calcutta train station on Saturday morning, we got six taxis to take us and all our luggage back to the guest house where we were staying. We spent some time getting settled in and then I went out to the mall for a little while. I ate my lunch at Subway! Even though I really enjoy Northeast India food, there's still nothing like good old American food. One difference in my Italian BMT though... it was made with chicken ham, lamb salami, and lamb peperoni. The Hindus do not eat beef, and the Muslims do not eat pork, so the menus are a little different. But it was still good!

It just happened that Saturday evening was the evening of Joyce's (ICC 2008 leader) wedding, and the wedding was being held in Calcutta. I had thought earlier that I was going to miss the wedding by a few days, but with my schedule being changed, it just happened that I was there at the right time, so I put on my brand new suit and tie... I had one made in Churachandpur by Jenny's (ICC 2008) dad... and took a taxi over to the church where the wedding was being held. The ceremony was at 4:30 and then the reception at 7:30.

Even though the festivities were still not over at 9:30 PM, I headed back over to the guest house, and slept with the mosquitos.

Sunday morning, I hung out with the kids for a few hours and then went out to the market to grab a few things I needed yet. I was thinking all day that my flight was at 10:30 PM, but around 6:00, I actually looked at my ticket and the flight was really at 8:30. I made it to the airport at 7:30, but still made the flight.

So, I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog and "joining" us for our trip through India. This will be the last post for the "Live From India" part of the blog, so if you wish to unsubscribe, please feel free to do so.

If you stay subscribed, the posts from here on out will be random thoughts from on the road with the 2009 India Children's Choir, which should be arriving in the United States later this week. The kids are finishing up visa interviews in Calcutta tomorrow. Pray that all would go well, and that the visas would be issued without any problems.

Blessings,

Michael Esh

No comments: